Only the Strong Survive
Details for In Theaters
Calendar for movie times. is selected.Skip to Movie and Times
Movie Times Calendar
Filter movie times by screen format. is selected.
How To Watch On Demand
Stream over 150,000 Movies & TV Shows on your smart TV, tablet, phone, or gaming console with Vudu. No subscription required.
Know When Tickets Go On Sale
We'll notify you when tickets go on sale in your area and more for Only the Strong Survive
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long is Only the Strong Survive?
- Only the Strong Survive is 1 hr 35 min long.
- Who directed Only the Strong Survive?
- Chris Hegedus
- What is Only the Strong Survive about?
- On learning that there was little or no surviving film footage or videotape of many of the greatest 1960s and 1970s soul artists performing on-tage, husband-and-wife documentary filmmakers D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus - working with entertainment journalist Roger Friedman - set out to capture some of the great artists on film while they were still with us. Fortunately a large number of the performers in question were still performing on a regular basis. The film features knockout performances from such R&B legends as Wilson Pickett, Jerry Butler, Isaac Hayes, the Chi-Lights, Carla Thomas, Mary Wilson, Ann Peebles, Sam Moore (of Sam & Dave), and many more, as well as interviews in which the artists discuss the ups and downs of their careers. It includes stunning performance footage of Memphis R&B pioneer Rufus Thomas, who passed on at the age of 84 shortly after being filmed.