Today the official first picture from Saving Mr. Banks arrived online featuring Tom Hanks as Walt Disney (yes, that Walt Disney). That's not the only first about this movie though. So while you take in the pic below of Hanks as Mr. Disney and Emma Thompson as Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers, lets dive into the trivia of firsts about this December 13 release.
- Saving Mr. Banks is the first theatrical film from Walt Disney Pictures to feature Walt Disney as a lead character.
- The movie is also the first American-British film project for the Walt Disney Company, which coproduced and cofinanced the film with BBC Films.
- Eleven-time Academy Award-nominated film composer Thomas Newman composed music for a live-action Disney movie for the first time. He previously composed for Finding Nemo and WALL-E for Disney/Pixar as well as music for non-Disney films The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, The Green Mile, Road to Perdition and Skyfall.
- The first time Walt Disney attempted to purchase the film rights to Mary Poppins from P.L. Travers in 1938, Travers declined. Her reason was that she was disgusted with the way Hollywood handles book-to-film adaptations, and did not believe a film version of her books would do justice to her creation.
- This is the first "serious," nonblockbuster film made by Walt Disney Pictures to be rated PG-13. It's also the fifth overall to earn the rating. The other are Pirates of the Caribbean (not counting the sequels since they're counted as part of a franchise), Prince of Persia, John Carter and The Lone Ranger.
- This is the second movie Tom Hanks has done with the word "Saving" in the title. The other was Saving Matt Damon Private Ryan.
What do you think of Tom Hanks' portrayal of Mr. Disney?
Follow @DerrickDeane Follow @Fandango
I think Actor Tom Hanks looks serious and smashing as the legendary Iconic Walt DISNEY and Ms. Emma Thompson what a nice surprise is playing film-Star Julie ANDREWS (Mary Poppins), that's cool!!
From the article, "Emma Thompson as Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers" not Julie Andrews.
"Welcome to the party, pal."
"I am serious... and don't call me Shirley."
"When am I gonna learn how to punch?"
"These go to eleven."
"Benjamin, have you ever been severely beaten about the face & neck?"
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."
"You're gonna need a bigger boat."
"Jessica's got cable."
Fandango, the ultimate movie ticketing destination, is your source for movie tickets and movie times. Know before you go to the theater, watch HD movie trailers and videos in the highest quality available. Find movie reviews, theater listings, and detailed information about new and upcoming films. If you're interested in DVDs, visit our DVD section for reviews, movie photos, trailers, and more.
Copyright © 2013 Fandango. All rights reserved. Your Personal Box Office