Written August 20, 2014
After enduring over 30 minutes of pre-movie trailers and promotions, Skyfall finally got moving. It's plot is good, but strung out. Each chase scene is too long and supported by repetitive music that cues you into believing the action is as intense as the orchestra's score. The Bond gimmicks are gone, leaving Daniel Craig on his own; this creates a Bond that is less reliant on the tools of his trade and more on his personal skills. In lieu of the typical Bond stuff, the movie returns to Bond themes of yesteryear, which are amusing at first, but a bit stretched as the movie reaches its end. The returns to the old Bond are all that makes this movie a Bond movie at all.
This is an introduction to a new Bond. I like what this movie promises, but I wish for the Bond gimmicks to return, along with a more Bond-ish villain with better development. This is a movie that is entertaining and stands well on its own; it's worth seeing. Just show up 20 minutes late.
Written November 27, 2014
Well worth it, a must see on the big screen. I love all Bond movies
The acting was excellent, cinematography was fantastic. It was the most different Bond yet.
Not a lot of Bond girl moments
Written December 27, 2014
I've seen most of the Bond films -- I"m not a huge fan of the blow 'em up action genres, but I have enjoyed Bond in the past. He had style -- usually suave, with a twinkle in his eye, always in control, never ruffled. This Bond is dour, humorless, without personality. And the movie is entirely predictable. Barely a plot, it's just a bunch of ways to kill Bond strung together -- except how excited can we get about that -- we KNOW he's not really going to die. This round, they actually ran out of novel way to kill him -- they had to drown him twice! Good visuals, good action sequences, but not very many of them -- there was ALOT of talking in this movie -- just endless expositional talking. Some beautiful women, but no sexiness. The whole movie just seemed forced.
Written January 30, 2015
Let me paraphrase it for you:
- Bond returns to form (suave), but still manages to stay kick ass.
- Beautiful locations and cinematography (and women) will please the eye.
- AMAZING performance by Javier Bardem. AMAZING.
- One of the coolest (and deepest) Bond openings ever.
- Probably one of the best songs as well (thanks, Adelle)
- The subtle tie-ins to other Bonds really builds up the atmosphere of the movie and is just plain awesome.
- The style of Bond is back. I know it didn't go away, but this movie made me want to shop for Bond's clothes. And I actually checked the internet when I got home.
- All supporting characters do an amazing job. I don't think one character let their acting drop from an A+
Probably one of the biggest take aways from Skyfall is that it isn't just another good guy vs. bad guy movie. There's deep character development going on here from Bond trying to get over his fear of death to Silva's bipolar activities.
It's a must see.
Written January 01, 2013
We are huge fans of the 007 movies; and this one definitely lived up to the role! It was a great thrill seeking action movie; just what you'd expect with Bond, only with a few new twists to keep you guessing and anxious to see the conclusion! Job well done! This is yet another film that will be added to our collection for sure!