- Release Date: October 11, 2013
- Run Time: 2 hr 13 min
- Rating: PG-13 - for sustained intense sequences of menace, some violence with bloody images, and for substance use
- Cast: Tom Hanks, Catherine Keener, Barkhad Abdi
- Director: Paul Greengrass
- Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama, IMAX, Suspense/Thriller
Synopsis: Captain Phillips is a multi-layered examination of the 2009 hijacking of the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama by a crew of Somali pirates. It is — through director Paul Greengrass’s distinctive lens — simultaneously a pulse-pounding thriller, and a complex portrait of the myriad effects of globalization. The film focuses on the relationship between the Alabama’s commanding officer, Captain Richard Phillips (two time Academy Award®-winner Tom Hanks), and the Somali pirate captain, Muse (Barkhad Abdi), who takes him hostage. Phillips and Muse are set on an unstoppable collision course when Muse and his crew target Phillips’ unarmed ship; in the ensuing standoff, 145 miles off the Somali coast, both men will find themselves at the mercy of forces beyond their control.