No need to double-check your calendar, it's really Thursday.
With Disney's D23 Expo promising a glimpse into what the latest developments are for Pixar, Marvel and (maybe) Star Wars, we're wrapping up the week a day early. Be sure to check back here and our Fanboy Fix Guide for a wrap-up on D23 news on Friday and Saturday!
OK, that bit of housekeeping out of the way, let's rewind on the week with the biggest bits of movie news and trailers that we haven't covered already.
1. While people continue to debate on who will play the next Batman, Mark Strong continues to fuel rumors that he will be portraying Superman's iconic nemesis Lex Luthor in the upcoming Batman/Superman movie. "All I can say is... watch this space," Strong said. Strong played the villain Sinestro in 2011's Green Lantern. [Digital Spy]
2. If you saw Furious Six, then you know what happened with Gina Carano. Now director James Wan is looking to bring another MMA fighter into the Fast & Furious franchise: Ronda Rousey. Rousey, the first American woman to ever take home an Olympic gold medal for judo, recently signed on to join the cast of The Expendables 3.
3. Speaking of Fast Seven, Tyrese Gibson will be back as Roman Pearce. The actor posed with Wan in front of an early teaser poster for the film.
4. Horrible Bosses 2 is looking for a new director. Seth Gordon is not returning to direct the sequel. Warner Bros. is expected to announce a replacement for the film which returns stars Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day and (most likely) Jamie Foxx soon.
5. Three-finger salutes all around as another new image of Katniss looking apprehensive in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire arrives online, this time courtesy of EW.
6. Alcon Entertainment announced that it has acquired the film and television rights to the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. A feature film is in the works and will be inspired by a variety of character and stories from the book series. [The Wrap]
7. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige says that they have movies planned through 2021. (Pic with Scarlett Johansson because, well, why not? Also, see next item.)
8. Early awards-season buzz may be on Tom Hanks, Michael Fassbender and Christian Bale, but let's not forget Joaquin Phoenix (even if he hates award shows). The first trailer for Her finds Phoenix in love with his computer and frankly, who can blame him, especially when the machine talks back and is voiced by Scarlett Johansson. Her arrives in theaters November 20.
9. Harrison Ford has signed on to replace Bruce Willis in The Expendables 3. Stallone took to Twitter to confirm the news and then fired a shot at Willis calling him "Greedy and lazy." THR later revealed that Willis had turned down a $3 million paycheck for four days of work and had demanded $1 million a day.
10. Speaking of Ford, the actor also mentioned that he'd like to return for a fifth Indiana Jones movie.
11. Didn’t like the first two J.J. Abrams Star Trek movies? Maybe the third time will be the charm as writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have signed on to return to script the next Star Trek movie.
12. Take a look at the new trailer for Enough Said, which features the final film performance from James Gandolfini. The film opens September 20.
13. Leonardo DiCaprio played around with a jetpack while on vacation. Ah, to be rich...
14. If you're still not sure what The Counselor is about, well, this latest trailer isn't going to be much help. What it can tell you is that Michael Fassbender is in some trouble, there's some tension between Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz, and Javier Bardem is, well, Javier Bardem. The Counselor opens October 25.
15. Mark Wahlberg attempts to explain why The Lone Ranger bombed.
16. Steven Spielberg has bailed on his second big movie this year. In January, he stepped down from Robopocalypse and this week, Spielberg said he has stepped down from directing American Sniper. Bradley Cooper is currently attached as the lead. [Variety]
17. If you're a fan of the Paranormal Activity franchise, you're probably bummed that there won't be a movie in theaters this October. But take solace in knowing that there will be not one, but TWO Paranormal Activity films arriving in theaters in 2014. The first one will be the much-buzzed about Latino spin-off due in theaters on January 3 while the second will be called Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones and is slated for October 24, 2014.
18. The Sharknado sequel officially has a title. Can you guess what it is? It's Sharknado: The Second One. The sequel will arrive on Syfy in July 2014. [EW]
19. Finally, a quick glimpse into the life of Donald Faison. Catch him in theaters next weekend in Kick-Ass 2. (Cacee Cobb is his wife.)
Follow @DerrickDeane Follow @Fandango
Ronda Rousey - First American OLYMPIC MEDAL winner. Not Gold. She got Bronze in 2008! :)
"Welcome to the party, pal."
"I am serious... and don't call me Shirley."
"When am I gonna learn how to punch?"
"These go to eleven."
"Benjamin, have you ever been severely beaten about the face & neck?"
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."
"You're gonna need a bigger boat."
"Jessica's got cable."
Fandango, the ultimate movie ticketing destination, is your source for movie tickets and movie times. Know before you go to the theater, watch HD movie trailers and videos in the highest quality available. Find movie reviews, theater listings, and detailed information about new and upcoming films. If you're interested in DVDs, visit our DVD section for reviews, movie photos, trailers, and more.
Copyright © 2013 Fandango. All rights reserved. Your Personal Box Office