What better way to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month than with the 2013 NCLR Alma Awards, which honor entertainers who promote a positive Hispanic image in today's media culture? Eva Longoria and Mario Lopez will cohost the show, which airs live tonight at 10 p.m. ET on MSNBC and celebrates our favorite Latinos in music, television and film.
So, let's get to it, here are six reasons why you should tune in to watch the Alma Awards.
1. There's a brand new format and cohost this year. You might be surprised to find out that there isn't a list of nominees this year; instead the Alma Awards will focus on honoring a handful of Latino talent in different categories. Eva Longoria returns as host but this time she's sharing the cohosting duties with Mario Lopez. Expect many wardrobe changes from Longoria and maybe even a few dance routines.
2. Let's face it, presenters can make or break a show and this year's lineup is packed with fan favorites like Lady Gaga, Jessica Alba, Daisy Fuentes, Diego Boneta, Gina Rodriguez and the cast of Devious Maids.
3. Machete will be in the building! He may not text but he'll be on hand to celebrate Robert Rodriguez' film career. The Machete Kills director will be honored with the Anthony Quinn Award for Industry Excellence. His long-standing career has brought us films like El Mariachi, From Dusk Till Dawn and the Spy Kids franchise, helping reshape Hollywood's cultural landscape. Jessica Alba, Danny Trejo, Lady Gaga, Alexa Vega, Cheech Marin and George Lopez will pay a special tribute to Rodriguez.
4. Music superstar Carlos Santana will be recognized with the Outstanding Commitment to Cause and Community Award, for his contributions to the arts, education and health care for underprivileged youth and the fight against child poverty. Let's cross our fingers in hopes that Santana will perform one of his many hits. Fun fact: Santana is a 10-time Grammy Award® winner.
5. The ladies of Lifetime's Devious Maids will present the cast of Dexter with the Special Achievement in Television Award. Accepting the award will be actors Lauren Vélez, David Zayas and Aimee Garcia.
6. Last year, Flo Rida brought down the house with a special performance by Roselyn Sanchez and this year's musical entertainment is set to be just as electrifying. Recording artist Aloe Blacc and Latin-funk-rock group Quetzal will take the stage for what's sure to be a showstopping musical performance.