Squirrels have cracked nuts and cracked wise in movies for decades—though small in stature, they've landed some pretty big roles. Case in point: in this week's acorny The Nut Job, a squirrel takes the leading role as head of a pack of rodents banished to the city after he sets their park's nut supply up in flames. Things are looking decidedly unsavory, until Surly finds a nut shop that seems like a perfect source of food for the winter—only the storefront is being used by a seedy bunch of gangsters.
Think you know your movie squirrels? See how many of them you guess right below. Scroll to the bottom of the post for the answers.
1. In The Nut Job, opening Friday, Surly is a cranky, larcenous squirrel who masterminds a heist to score an epic store of nuts. Who voices him?
2. A hoarder of prehistoric acorns, this critter puts himself into mortal danger over and over again to gain the precious food. Which squirrel and movie?
3. What happens when you mix a naturally jumpy squirrel with a constant sugar rush? You get this sidekick who assists a clever raccoon.
4. The poster squirrel of cool, this gray flying squirrel has a best friend who is large and slow but they’ve been BFFs since 1959.
5. An adventurous squirrel from the Lone Star State who relocated to Bikini Bottom is named Sandy Cheeks in this silly kids' movie.
6. In this 1963 Disney classic, two human medieval-era characters are briefly magicked into the form of two fuzzy squirrels, among many other animals.
7. In what film does a squirrel attack a harried, suburban Chicago father who just wants to give his family the perfect Christmas? (C'mon, you got this.)
8. In which two 2004 comedies does Twiggy the Waterskiing Squirrel make cameo appearances? Hint: Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn appeared in both.
9. A fuzzy little guy who helps two down-and-out families during Christmas is based on a classic children’s story called “Willie the Squowse.” What's his name? (Hint: It's part of the title.)
10. In Tim Burton’s adaptation of Charlie and Chocolate Factory, the Head Squirrel ends up sending which nasty little Golden Ticket winner down the hatch?
1. Will Arnett plays Surly, who lives by the motto: “No nuts, no glory.”
2. Known as Scrat (but never actually named as such in any of the films), the saber-toothed squirrel has appeared in every Ice Age film and starred in three short films.
3. Hammy is the over-the-top squirrel (voiced by Steve Carell) who pretends he has rabies to help save his woodland friends in Over the Hedge.
4. Rocket "Rocky" J. Squirrel is the clever sidekick of Bullwinkle the Moose. Uttering his catchphrase "hokey smoke," Rocky helps thwarts villains in Frostbite Falls in The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.
5. In The Spongebob SquarePants Movie, Sandy Cheeks is the supersmart, type A squirrel who helps SpongeBob and the residents of Bikini Bottom deal with all kinds of challenges from her tree dome.
6. Merlin and young Arthur (aka Wart) briefly get bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in Disney’s version of the Arthurian classic, The Sword in the Stone.
7. In National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, Chevy Chase’s Clark Griswold gets a squirrel to the face after he chops down a neighbor’s tree to replace the one that went up in flames in his house.
8. In special news footage, Twiggy makes some waves in both Dodgeball and Anchorman.
9. Rupert the squirrel is an animated critter featured in the 1950 film The Great Rupert.
10. Veruca Salt
How many did you know? Tell us in the comments, then go score tickets to The Nut Job this weekend.