It took Dwayne Johnson four films to accomplish what Robert Downey Jr. almost did in one film. The Rock finished the year as the highest grossing actor at the worldwide box office with Downey Jr. not far behind.
The majority of Johnson's box office take comes from Fast & Furious 6 ($788.7 million) with G.I. Joe: Retaliation comprising the second highest gross at $375.7 million. Johnson's total worldwide box office for 2013 was $1.293 billion whereas Downey Jr., who only starred in Iron Man 3, pulled in $1.22 billion.
1. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson ($1.293 billion)
2. Robert Downey Jr. ($1.22 billion)
3. John Goodman ($1.096 billion - Goodman's appearance in The Internship was uncredited and thus not added into the total.)
4. Steve Carell ($964.5 million - This total is pre-Anchorman 2.)
5. Vin Diesel ($887 million)
6. Sandra Bullock ($862 million)
7. Paul Walker ($789 million)
8. Billy Crystal ($743 million)
9. Jennifer Lawrence ($731.1 million - This total is pre-wide release for American Hustle.)
10. Chris Hemsworth ($701 million)
Are you surprised by any of the names in the top 10 list?
Box office totals are via BoxOfficeMojo and the use of a calculator.