Happy Hunger Games! Suzanne Collins' best-selling trilogy has created an incredible following, resulting in a record-breaking opening for this first major blockbuster of the year. With a huge number of fans turning up for the midnight opening (to the tune of a record-setting $19.75 million), The Hunger Games is poised to make a box office killing this weekend, with some sites predicting $150 million. Last night, here at Fandango we were selling 12 tickets per second during peak intervals (!) And here are just a few more phenomenal Fandango stats:
* The Hunger Games leads the list of Fandango’s top franchise-openers, and has eclipsed The Twilight Saga: Eclipse and surpassed The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1 to become our #3 advance ticket seller of all time.
* The film represents an overwhelming 97% of Fandango’s ticket sales today, and has sold out more than 3,500 showtimes in advance of its release.
* 62% of ticket-buyers plan on seeing the film more than once on the big screen;
* 61% say the action is driving them to buy a ticket;
* 54% plan on going with a group of 3 or more friends;
* 89% say they plan to see the movie on opening weekend.