All we’ve seen of James Cameron’s Avatar so far are behind-the-scenes green-screen images of James Cameron and his actors hard at work on what some think could eventually become the grandest moviegoing experience of the year. Cameron has promised that his $200 million-plus film will present us with a new kind of 3D experience (mixing live-action and animation) the likes of nothing we’ve ever seen before.
Word has it the first trailer isn’t arriving in theaters anytime soon, and while 20th Century Fox could be sitting on top of this year’s ‘Dark Knight’, they’re doing very little to get the word out. That said, this month’s issue of Empire magazine has a nice little spread on Avatar, including what appears to be our first look at actual footage (photo scan via Marketsaw).
On the new technology he’s using in the film, Cameron told Empire, "With the capture technologies we developed, the actor can be any character they can imagine and the director can create any world, any time and any space." Avatar arrives in theaters on December 18. So … is this your most anticipated film of the year, or are you waiting until we actually see some footage?
'Bioshock' Movie Put on Hold
Bad news for those folks anticipating the upcoming adaptation of the Bioshock video game as Universal has decided to put the flick – which was to be directed by Pirates of the Caribbean helmer Gore Verbinski – on hold because the proposed $160 million budget is just way too large.
Variety tells us that some of the production staff have been let go, while both the studio and Verbinsky do what they can to get the budget down. Some are comparing this fiasco to the botched Halo adaptation, but the fact of the matter is video game adaptations don’t have a great history at the box office – so I don’t blame Universal for taking a step back to evaluate. No word on whether this will get off the ground or not, but we’ll keep you posted on developments.
Do you think a big-budgeted Bioshock movie is a smart idea? Are you a fan of the video game?
Swine Flu Shuts Down Mexico City ‘Wolverine’ Premiere
By now you’ve most certainly heard of this swine flu issue plaguing Mexico and beginning to spread across the United States (remember to wash your hands and stay away from people who don’t cover their mouth when they cough). Well, 20th Century Fox has decided to cancel the Mexico City premiere of the film, which was set for this Wednesday). That’s not all: Since a number of cinemas in the area have decided to shut down to combat the spreading of the virus, box office numbers for Wolverine in the area are likely to be hurt significantly…as if last month’s internet leak didn’t hurt the film enough. Sometimes you can’t catch a break. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is set to hit theaters stateside this Friday.