Don't feel like surfing through multiple sites to get caught up on today's movie news? Fear not, my friends – welcome to Quick Hits, where you'll surely be able to devour the latest news way faster than it takes me to transform into Megan Fox's imaginary boyfriend.
Transformers Opens Big -- In its opening night run, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen scored a whopping $16 million, scoring the third highest single day opening (behind The Dark Knight and Star Wars Episode III), and the largest Wednesday opening ever. A few interesting Fandango stats for you:
• Tuesday night Fandango sold out more than 2,000 midnight and late night/early morning show times nationwide.
• Fandango has been selling more than 8 Transformers 2 tickets per second during peak periods, prior to opening day. That number could rise today.
• Transformers 2 currently represents 94% of all ticket sales on Fandango (as of 9:00 a.m. PT Wednesday).
• Transformers 2 now ranks as Fandango's biggest pre-sales title of the year to date.
• Transformers 2 is selling twice as many tickets as Iron Man sold on Fandango at the same point in that film's sales cycle.
• Midnight showtimes of Transformers 2 were sold out across the country, from Abingdon, Maryland to Yuba City, CA. One theater in Las Vegas sold out as many as ten midnight showtimes.
The Last Airbender Teaser Trailer – Can M. Night Shyamalan finally redeem himself with this adaptation of a popular television show? The first teaser trailer for The Last Airbender has arrived online and it looks pretty badass. Check it out over here and let us know what you think.
Avatar Footage Screened, New Images Online – The first footage from James Cameron's Avatar was screened at the recent Cinema Expo in Amsterdam, and the general consensus is … "jaw-dropping." Cameron introduced the footage by announcing the arrival of the 3D renaissance, and those who have written about it seem to agree. Check out reports over at Coming Soon and MarketSaw, and check out a brand new image (on display at an after party) above.
Zac Efron Nabs a Sexy Thriller – High School Musical star Zac Efron bowed out of the Footloose remake in order to take his career in a more adult direction – and now The Hollywood Reporter tells us that he's signed on for a new movie that's being described as a "sexy thriller". Does that mean Mr. Efron will flee from a mysterious killer while wearing only his underwear? Perhaps … no other details are listed.
Daniel Craig Visits a Haunted House – And speaking of thrillers, Daniel Craig has decided to take in a little ghost story in between James Bond movies and has signed on to star in Dream House for director Jim Sheridan, about a guy who moves his family to a nice, quiet small town and then realizes his new house is haunted by the folks who were murdered there. [The Hollywood Reporter]
Hitman 2 in the Works – Though no one really liked the first Hitman (which itself was based on the popular video game), word from IESB is that 20th Century Fox has hired Kyle Ward to write the screenplay. There's no word if stars Timothy Olyphant or Olga Kurylenko will return.
'New Moon' Movie Tie-In Book Cover Revealed – As is standard practice, whenever there's a movie based on a popular book, that book is re-released with a tie-in to the movie. With that in mind, Entertainment Weekly has revealed the cover of the movie tie-in version of New Moon, which is set to hit bookshelves real soon and features an exclusive image from the highly-anticipated sequel on its cover.