Universal is reportedly courting Jim Carrey for a "showy" supporting performance in Kick-Ass 2. Though it seems random, Carrey is actually a big fan of the first film.
Universal wants Carrey to play The Colonel, a former employee of crime boss John Genovese. He leaves the criminal organization after he has a religious epiphany and goes on to create the superhero team Justice Forever. Kick-Ass goes on to become a part of the team along with other character including Insect Man (Robert Emms) and Doctor Gravity (Donald Faison).
Kick-Ass 2: Balls to the Wall finds Kick-Ass and Justice Forever taking on a supervillain group assembled by Red Mist (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) who changes his name to The Mother F**ker. Chloe Moretz and Nicolas Cage are expected to reprise their roles from the first film. The sequel hits theaters June 28, 2013.
- Speaking of Jim Carrey, Bobby Farrelly isn't going to let Dumb & Dumber 2 go quietly into studio development hell. Farrelly teased that either Harry or Lloyd from the first film might be a dad ni the sequel, if they ever get around to filming it. "The story revolves around the fact that one of them may have sired a child. They want to go and find the child because he's having a kidney problem and wants to ask the kid for one of his kidneys." This plot seems much deeper than the first film, considering the first movie was about returning a briefcase. Farrelly reassures us thought that, "there is no growth out of either one of them. "
- Earlier this month, we reported that Kevin Costner was in talks to play a mentor role to Chris Pine's Jack Ryan character in the franchise reboot. While those talks are still underway, it seems his character has expanded as there is now word that he will appear in the spinoff Without Remorse and may even wind up getting his own film in the coming years. Tom Hardy's name has also been mentioned as a possible casting addition to Without Remorse. Hardy is being sought to play John Clark in that film.
After years spent in development hell, the Jack Ryan reboot has picked up some momentum with Kenneth Branagh directing and playing the lead villain, Keira Knightley in serious talks to play Jack's girlfriend and James Earl Jones is expected to reprise his role from previous Jack Ryan movies as Admiral Greer.
- The first official set pic from Fast and the Furious 6 arrived online this morning as Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and director Justin Lin pose for the camera. The sixth installment of the Fast & Furious franchise is due in theaters on May 24, 2013.
- The Hunger Games home video sales are off to a strong start, selling 3.8 million DVD and BluRay units over the first three days.
- Finally, we wrap our Morning Must-Read with a batch of new Hobbit images featuring Bilbo, the dwarves and a still of Gandalf and Galadriel. The first part of the Hobbit trilogy arrives in theaters on December 14.