Joseph Gordon-Levitt Commits to Lead Role in 'Sin City' Sequel
Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s phone must constantly ring off the hook. Constantly. The talented star of Looper is attached to practically every major project, from the planned Justice League of America movie (in which he could play Batman) to the Godzilla reboot – which he reportedly was offered but chose to pass.
It seems like Gordon-Levitt has his pick of whatever project … and Deadline says he has picked the Sin City sequel, A Dame to Kill For, as his next film. The site says he’ll play the lead role of Johnny, “one of the core characters in overlapping story lines” who’ll interact with the likes of Bruce Willis, Rosario Dawson, Clive Owen and other original Sin City stars.
Committing to the Sin City sequel means that JGL has taken his name out of the running for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy film, of which he had been offered the lead. Maybe Gordon-Levitt being a DC guy (thanks to his part in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises) kept him from starring in a Marvel movie? Maybe he just connected to the material in Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller’s noir?
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For began shooting weeks ago, so Gordon-Levitt is expected to plug in and go. The gritty noir sequel is scheduled to open on Oct. 4.
In between filming, he’ll bring his directorial debut Don Jon’s Addiction to the Sundance Film Festival, where he also plans to host the Sundance Awards ceremony at the festival’s close.
And that phone just keeps on ringing.
Like it? Share it:
Sean O'ConnellFandango Bloggers
Sean is a film reviewer for The Washington Post and daily contributor to Fandango.
Next Article by Derrick DeaneWatch: Sneak Peek of Latest Pixar Short, 'The Blue Umbrella'