With a Transformers sequel laying waste to the summer box office back in early July, and a G.I. Joe movie arriving in theaters this weekend, I've had a bunch of friends ask me what other familiar childhood toys Hollywood was not-so-secretly turning into a big-screen feature film. While I'd love to tell you that producers have no plans to touch any other toys … ever, that's simply not the case. In fact, it's the exact opposite – studios are cutting deals with toy makers like Hasbro which allow them access to pretty much anything. So, here are five upcoming toy-into-movie adaptations, as well as what we know about them so far. (And no, this is not a joke.)
- Monopoly – In a pretty giant deal with Universal, the studio obtained the film rights to several Hasbro properties – including Monopoly, which, of course, is the popular board game we all grew up playing. As of right now, Ridley Scott will be producing and possibly directing. As far as where it's at right now, Scott told MTV the following back in March: ""We're in progress right now. We're having it written. We have identified a pretty good story and it is fundamentally a movie, not a game, probably describing in a way the characters in the film, the passion of the game, and how the game came about."
- Stretch Armstrong – This will most likely be the next toy-into-movie adaptation that we see in theaters. It's the only one that has an actual release planned for April 2011, and funnyman Steve Oderkirk is currently writing the script. For awhile Keanu Reeves was rumored to be playing the famous toy icon capable of stretching his arms and legs long and far, though those rumors have since died down.
- Candy Land – Remember this game? Well, get ready to watch the movie, too! Etan Cohen is writing a Candy Land script right now, while Kevin Lima (Enchanted) is set to direct. Hasbro chief Brian Goldner recently told Collider the following about Candy Land: "Candy Land" is not just about the board game. If you really think about it, it's an adventure that a kid goes on with his parents when they go across that board. It's an adventure game so think of that as the beginning point and take off from there."
- Battleship – Famous for the line "You sunk my battleship!" – this board game-into-movie is being kept under wraps right now, but if I were to wager a guess, I'd say it will most likely follow giant ships battling each another until one explodes. I can already see the villain crying out "You sunk my battleship!" as the film's climax comes to a dramatic conclusion.
- Ouija – Back when you were a kid, I bet you brought out the Ouija board a few times, especially during Halloween or on a creepy Friday the 13th. Naturally, Hollywood would like to turn up the scare factor for this adaptation … but they'll do it in pretty grand fashion. Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes have the rights for this one, and back in February producer Brad Fuller said the story (which is being written now) will be more like "a Pirates of the Caribbean adventure" with a Ouija board at the center of it all.