The 2009 San Diego Comic-Con is finally upon us, with the action beginning on Wednesday night (July 22) and running through Sunday (July 26). There's literally hundreds of things to see and do, with everything from panels and screenings to costume contests and comic book signings. If you're a genre geek, then this is your favorite event of the year. But what's hot in 2009 with regards to movies at Comic-Con? Read on to find out ...
1. 'Avatar' Panel – On Thursday afternoon, James Cameron will bring his highly-anticipated sci-fi 3D spectacular to Comic-Con and finally dump some footage on the 6,000-or-so fans lucky enough to get themselves inside the famous Hall H. This will be the first time Cameron is showing footage to fans, and based on the tiny bit of news we've heard so far, there's a good chance Avatar will leave Con with more buzz than any movie this decade.
2. Disney's 3D Panel – Thursday looks to be the biggest day for movies at Comic-Con, and that day will begin with the convention's first-ever 3D panel as Disney brings upcoming films like Alice in Wonderland, Tron 2 and A Christmas Carol to dazzle fans with a whole chunk of fantastical 3D footage from each flick. Not only that, but legendary filmmakers Tim Burton and Robert Zemeckis will be on hand to discuss their respective films, too!
3. 'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' Panel – Also on Thursday afternoon is this monstrous panel for the follow-up to Twilight, New Moon – featuring cast members like Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson with director Chris Weitz. Also during Comic-Con, there will be special screenings of Twilight with cast members in attendance!
4. Secret 'District 9' Screening – Not only will Peter Jackson make an appearance at Con this year to help discuss the buzzed-about sci-fi flick District 9 (which he produced), but the studio is also holding a super secret screening of the film (which doesn't hit theaters until August 14). Where and when that screening is, I do not know, but keep your eyes and ears peeled to the ground and maybe – just maybe – you'll find a way in.
5. Surprise Appearances TBD – One of the fun parts of Comic-Con is trying to guess which unannounced films will suddenly pop up and surprise fans with cast members and footage. Last year Hugh Jackman popped up with X-Men Origins: Wolverine footage, and this year possible surprise movies include Disney's Prince of Persia and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
Notable mentions: Um, a tiny art house film called Iron Man 2 will also be hosting a panel, and expect fans to be treated to the first bit of footage from next year's most anticipated superhero sequel.