Now that the 2009 San Diego Comic Con is finally over and done with, what were some of the highlights – the biggest stand-outs; the films that looked so good they made us want to create a time machine in order to skip ahead to the day of release? We saw so much over the course of four days, it's almost too hard to pick five favorites – but after hours upon hours of relentless research, pie charts and mathematical equations, we came up with the following five hottest of Comic Con '09:
- Iron Man 2 – Considered by most to be the big winner of this year's Con, Iron Man 2 arrived in full force with its cast and some footage that blew the minds of fanboys everywhere. Included in the footage was Mickey Rourke's Whiplash villain and our first look at War Machine. Stacie described the War Machine costume as arriving with "arm guns blazing and a giant pivoting machine gun attached to his back." Check out more of our Iron Man 2 Comic Con coverage over here.
- District 9 – This small-ish sci-fi film entered Comic Con with a whole ton of buzz (and Peter Jackson promoting it), and it left Con with even more thanks to a secret screening during the convention. Our own Chuck Walton had this to say about the movie: "The end result--while mirroring a few real-world conflicts--gets the job done first as a visceral, graphic, hard-R, action-packed roller coaster. Jackson revealed the final budget as $30 million, but trust us, it looks a lot more expensive than that." Head here for more on District 9.
- Avatar – While it definitely held the title for most buzzed-about heading into Comic-Con, James Cameron's gorgeous motion-captured 3D revolution left the convention with great buzz, sure, but not the kind some expected. The general consensus was that, while the film looks fantastic, it isn't going to change the way we watch movies, as some had predicted. Fandango's Lizerne Guiting said the movie was a "sc-fi lovers dream come true," and added: "Not only did he deliver a mind-blowing, immersive 3-D experience, Cameron's highly under-wraps film delved deep into his imagination, bringing to life the exotic world of Pandora and the emotional story of a man who falls in love with a Na'avi." Read more on Avatar over here.
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon – Thousands of screaming teenage girls camped out overnight for a chance to see their favorite Twilight cast members up close, and the folks from New Moon did not disappoint. Two new clips were screened, both of which revealed a little bare-chested boy action, and the place went nuts. Lizerne said that "as soon as Jacob's shirt came off in the clip, the hall erupted in screams so high-pitched, they were sure to send canines running." Read more on The Twilight Saga: New Moon over here.
- Fandango's Megan Fox Interview: Sure, there were the movies, the panels and the parties, but we had to finish off our hottest list with a little nod to, well, one of the hottest at Comic-Con this year: Ms. Megan Fox. Fandango actually got the chance to talk to Megan on the red carpet, where she spilled the beans about her love of comic books and comic book movies, and said that she'd be perfectly happy making comic book films for the rest of her career. Watch the video over here.
Related Comic-Con '09 Links:
Comic-Con Central - Exclusive Video Interviews, Comprehensive Coverage and More!
Comic-Con 2009 Photo Feature - All the Stars, Costumes and Everything Else Worth Seeing from the Con