Today the official first picture from Saving Mr. Banks arrived online featuring Tom Hanks as Walt Disney (yes, that Walt Disney). That's not the only first about this movie though. So while you take in the pic below of Hanks as Mr. Disney and Emma Thompson as Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers, lets dive into the trivia of firsts about this December 13 release.
- Saving Mr. Banks is the first theatrical film from Walt Disney Pictures to feature Walt Disney as a lead character.
- The movie is also the first American-British film project for the Walt Disney Company, which coproduced and cofinanced the film with BBC Films.
- Eleven-time Academy Award-nominated film composer Thomas Newman composed music for a live-action Disney movie for the first time. He previously composed for Finding Nemo and WALL-E for Disney/Pixar as well as music for non-Disney films The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, The Green Mile, Road to Perdition and Skyfall.
- The first time Walt Disney attempted to purchase the film rights to Mary Poppins from P.L. Travers in 1938, Travers declined. Her reason was that she was disgusted with the way Hollywood handles book-to-film adaptations, and did not believe a film version of her books would do justice to her creation.
- This is the first "serious," nonblockbuster film made by Walt Disney Pictures to be rated PG-13. It's also the fifth overall to earn the rating. The other are Pirates of the Caribbean (not counting the sequels since they're counted as part of a franchise), Prince of Persia, John Carter and The Lone Ranger.
- This is the second movie Tom Hanks has done with the word "Saving" in the title. The other was Saving
Matt Damon Private Ryan.
What do you think of Tom Hanks' portrayal of Mr. Disney?