Is Grown Ups 2 for adults or kids? Adults, right? I mean, it’s right there in the title. And yet, kids will want to see this movie no matter what. Here are five reasons why:
1. In Grown Ups 2, five best friends from middle school decide to move back to the same small town where they grew up. This is what kids envision they will do – right now, their social circle is their life and BFFs are forever (hey, it’s right there in the second "F").
2. China Anne McClain and Cameron Boyce. Two of the young unknown actors cast as Chris Rock's and Adam Sandler’s progeny in the first film went on to become bona fide kid stars with shows on Disney Channel. Rock and Sandler smartly guest-starred, respectively, on McClaine's A.N.T. Farm and Boyce's Jessie recently, making Grown Ups 2 must-see moviegoing to keep up with the summer-camp banter.
3. "Chocolate Wasted." In the first film, the kids are led to believe that being "wasted" is satisfying a craving for ice cream. It’s up there with "to infinity and beyond" in terms of catchphrases in the kids world… now every kid is looking for an opportunity to get "chocolate wasted."
4. Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock and David Spade are just big kids. Adam Sandler wins a Kids Choice Award EVERY YEAR. That’s because he’s an adult who acts like a kid. Seeing a grown up act like a kid is funny but also makes kids feel, well, superior. One reason is because they recognize Sandler’s immature behavior isn’t how adults are supposed to act, and that makes kids feel smart. Second, when Sandler acts like a 12 year old, it legitimizes being a 12 year old. Five adults acting childish? All the better!
5. Taylor Lautner. The Teen Beat poster boy is likely to bring in Twilight fans but, make no mistake, he’ll earn many more fans after they see his hilarious performance as a fraternity leader looking for a fight.
Here are three more movies to see with your family this weekend:
Pacific Rim. Monsters vs. bobots? Add in that these are GIANT monsters who are also ALIENS (!) and the robots are basically man-operated TRANSFORMERS (!!) and, seriously, this movie is the sum of all teen-boy dreams.
Despicable Me 2. Only a true villain would deprive their little minions of seeing the must-see kids movie of the summer.
Monsters University. Being scared of the dark is SO last generation. Monsters U makes fear adorable.
Don’t take the opinion of adult critics when it comes to kids movies! Go to www.KidsPickFlicks.com, where all kids are movie critics.