Whether you're in San Diego or not for this year's Comic-Con, we'll be bringing you all of the latest movie scoops right here on Fandango. The Con hits its full stride tomorrow, but there are some things happening today, too, for Comic-Con's preview night. We'll have a running list of our entire coverage (as well as links to our sister Comcast sites' Con coverage) in our Comic-Con Central, as well as tons of daily blog post updates, exclusive video interviews, photos galore, and more so be sure to stay tuned! What's to look forward to? Here's our rundown of the top 10 movie-related events happening at this year's event…
1. 'Avatar' Panel [Thursday] – On Thursday afternoon, James Cameron will bring his highly-anticipated sci-fi 3D spectacular to Comic-Con and finally dump some footage on the 6,000-or-so fans lucky enough to get themselves inside the famous Hall H. This will be the first time Cameron is showing footage to fans, and based on the tiny bit of news we've heard so far, there's a good chance Avatar will leave Con with more buzz than any movie this decade.
2. Disney's 3D Panel [Thursday] – Thursday looks to be the biggest day for movies at Comic-Con, and that day will begin with the convention's first-ever 3D panel as Disney brings upcoming films like Alice in Wonderland, Tron 2 and A Christmas Carol to dazzle fans with a whole chunk of fantastical 3D footage from each flick. Not only that, but legendary filmmakers Tim Burton and Robert Zemeckis will be on hand to discuss their respective films, too!
3. The Twilight Saga: New Moon Panel [Thursday] – Also on Thursday afternoon is this monstrous panel for the follow-up to Twilight, New Moon – featuring cast members like Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson with director Chris Weitz. Also during Comic-Con, there will be special screenings of Twilight with cast members in attendance!
4. Secret 'District 9' Screening [Unknown] – Not only will Peter Jackson make an appearance at Con this year to help discuss the buzzed-about sci-fi flick District 9 (which he produced), but the studio is also holding a super secret screening of the film (which doesn't hit theaters until August 14). Where and when that screening is, I do not know, but keep your eyes and ears peeled to the ground and maybe – just maybe – you'll find a way in.
5. District 9 Panel [Friday] – Those who can't get in to watch the secret screening of the film can enjoy the panel on Friday afternoon featuring Lord of the Rings director (and District 9 producer) Peter Jackson.
6. Warner Bros. Panel [Friday] – Warner Bros. is in the house this year and bringing bits and pieces from a whole bunch of their upcoming movies including Where The Wild Things Are, The Book of Eli, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Box, Jonah Hex, and Sherlock Holmes.
7. Surprise Appearances TBD – One of the fun parts of Comic-Con is trying to guess which unannounced films will suddenly pop up and surprise fans with cast members and footage. Last year Hugh Jackman popped up with X-Men Origins: Wolverine footage, and this year possible surprise movies include Disney's Prince of Persia and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.
8. Iron Man 2 [Saturday] - Um, a tiny art house film called Iron Man 2 will also be hosting a panel, and so expect fans to be treated to the first bit of footage from next year's most anticipated superhero sequel alongside special appearances from the cast who just finished shooting.
9. Sony Pictures Panel [Saturday] – Also on hand this year with a crop of genre fans is Sony Pictures, who will be bringing upcoming movies like 2012, Zombieland and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
10. Kevin Smith Speaks [Saturday] – What's become an annual tradition at Comic-Con, Kevin Smith (writer-director behind Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, etc) attacks Hall H with his vicious sense of humor, tackling bizarre questions from the audience ("Who would win in a fight: Kermit the Frog or Darth Vader"), as well as sneaking in footage from his latest film project. In this case, Smith is still working on the comedy A Couple of Dicks, and so expect him to bring along a little footage from that movie to show fans.
Related Comic-Con '09 Links:
Comic-Con Central - Exclusive Video Interviews, Comprehensive Coverage and More!
Comic-Con 2009 Photo Feature - All the Stars, Costumes and Everything Else Worth Seeing from the Con