The clouds have dissipated… the storm has calmed. The town of Swallow Falls has escaped the life-sized destructive food storm set off by Flint Lockwood's food-making machine and have taken shelter elsewhere. All that is left from the FLDSMDFR (the Flint Lockwood Diatonic Super Mutating Dynamic Food Replicator, which turns water into food) is the aftermath… a clean-up of epic proportions.
Or is it?
At a press event last week, stars Bill Hader, Anna Faris and Benjamin Bratt, along with co-directors Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn, showed a group of reporters new footage from the 3D comedy. In a nutshell, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
begins literally 60 seconds after the first film ends. The destruction that ensued after Flint's food-making satellite went awry requires a team to help clean up the island, and who better to assist the effort than the inventor himself. In this meatier sequel, Flint learns that his food-making machine is now producing living, breathing food monsters!
Tasked with operation clean-up, newcomer/genius Chester V (Will Forte), who just so happens to be Flint's idol, invites him to join the Live Corp company in San Jose, California. Imagine a giant light bulb sitting on top of the island of Alcatraz where the best and the brightest of minds converge. LiveCorp is the equivalent of Apple meets Google meets FAO Schwarz, and for an aspiring inventor like Flint, working there is a dream come true. But this dream quickly becomes a monstrous nightmare and Flint's first task involves stopping a complete foodimal takeover.
Here are five fun facts about the film we learned at the event:
1. Of all the foodimal ideas pitched, only 39 (tacodiles, shrimpanzees, hippotatomuses and cheespiders among them) made it into the film. The most interesting foodinmal to get cut was a fire-breathing T. rex S'more Monster with a marshmallow body, graham-cracker mouth and chocolate teeth.
2. Director Cody Cameron carved and sculpted produce, then photographed it in his backyard to get an idea of what real fruits and vegetables looked like in a natural environment. In many instances, real food was studied to ensure authenticity.
3. Broadening its appeal, the film includes direct and indirect references to classic films such as Return of the Jedi, E.T., The Goonies, Gremlins and Teen Wolf, but the most striking semblance is visualized on the island as a direct homage to Jurassic Park.
4. While the original film was loosely based on Judi Barrett's book Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, the sequel is an entirely new idea not based on the second book in the series. Interestingly enough, audiences get a preview of the destructive food animals (walking chickens, menacing gummy bears) at the end of the first film, and the filmmakers were inspired to further develop that idea in the sequel.
5. The entire voice cast, save for Mr. T (who voiced Earl), returns in the sequel. Additionally, the filmmakers only added two new characters: Chester V and Barb the Orangutan, voiced by Kristen Schaal. Chester V's eccentric character is best described as a mix between Steve Jobs, Richard Branson and a circus ringmaster.
Cloudy 2 opens in theaters on Friday, September 27.