Written September 27, 2016
A truly outstanding movie. You felt like you were living the history of the Civil Rights movement. It brought me back to my youth in the 1960's. The movie made me remember that, even though our nation is far from perfect, we have come a long way from the earliest days portrayed.
Written April 24, 2017
went to see the butler for date nite last nite. it was like forest gump in that it followed the life of the main character thru a bunch of historical events. even used some of the same clips from the race riots I think. very good movie. I laffed I cried what more could u ask from a movie? forest whittaker & oprah were outstanding and cuba was hiliarious. must see.
Written May 01, 2016
This was an incredible movie, depicting not only the life of a man but that of the freedom riders. It was moving, touching, heartbreaking, inspirational, historical, and important. Forest W. and Oprah W. are amazing in this movie and bring a genuine feel to their characters. The make up artistry for this movie is outstanding. The history of what the freedom riders went through is depicted in this movie with no apologies... it does not hold back... which makes it that much more powerful and important as a piece of historical theater. This movie is guaranteed to be an Oscar contender. It is a must see.
Written April 30, 2017
With humor and pathos and realism, this film sets forth the life of a blac man whose personal journey mirrors the turmoil of his times. Cecil's willingness to learn, to serve, to survive bring him to work at the White House, where he quitely obsreves -- and perhaps influences --the history of our country.
Written April 29, 2017
1. Film was well done
2. educational as well as entertaining
3. Sensitive, emotional areas handled carefully, but powerfully
4. An anachronism.(when talking about equal pay during Reagan's period, it would have been said "the black man or colored or Negro, but just saying Blacks as a racial group would not have been said by the butler, he was not in tune with the terms)
5. Actors were excellent
6. Movie should be a requirement for seniors in high school because employment and history of how people were expected to work same positions, but receive unequal wages solely on how one looked and not performance.
7. A good lesson in pride, dedication, commitment to family. An example that there were also African-American stay-at- home housewives which isn't often expressed in the media.