Thursday, December 15, 2011
FANDANGO SCORES BEST YEAR EVER AT THE MOVIES
The Nation’s Leading Moviegoer Destination Breaks Year-Over-Year Records for Ticket Sales, Traffic, Ad Sales and Screen Count
(LOS ANGELES - Dec. 15, 2011) -- Fandango, the nation’s leading moviegoer destination, achieved double-digit growth in 2011, marking its best-performing year in the company's 11-year history. The year marked record highs for Fandango, not only in ticket sales, but also in online and mobile traffic, advertising sales and the number of theater screens it represents across the country.
“Fandango has become the way that millions of consumers go to the movies, and 2011 is the year that mobile ticketing made a significant impact on that moviegoing habit,” said Rick Butler, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Fandango. “With the exciting holiday movie season not even in full swing yet, we expect sales and traffic to surge in the next few weeks, as fans take advantage of Fandango’s numerous conveniences for such highly-anticipated films as Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Chipwrecked and many others."
Fandango also won three prestigious 2011 Webby Awards for its mobile and tablet apps, which have garnered over 21 million downloads to date. On top of that, Fandango recently surpassed one million Facebook fans, bringing the total to 1.2MM.
Among Fandango’s other best-year-ever results:
• An 11% year-over-year increase in average monthly Web traffic, reaching as high as 25 million unique visitors per month.*
• A 59% year-over-year increase in average monthly Mobile traffic, reaching as high as 9 million unique visitors per month.*
• A 73% year-over-year increase in mobile ticket sales year-to-date.
• Record-breaking mobile percentage of total traffic, with mobile representing more than 28% of all visits to Fandango.*
• Record-breaking mobile percentage of ticket sales, with mobile sales for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1, representing 22% of Fandango’s sales for the film’s opening weekend.
• Ticketing footprint grew to more than 16,500 screens across the country, representing the wide majority of the marketplace.
• Increased deployment of Fandango’s exclusive and paperless Mobile Ticket, reaching more than 1,200 screens this year. More than 1,000 new screens will offer this convenience in the next few months.
• Record-breaking sales and largest percentage of tickets sold for a movie’s opening (19% of domestic opening weekend for
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
Fandango joins NBCUniversal’s Entertainment & Digital Networks and Integrated Media division’s Bravo, Oxygen, Style, mun2, Telemundo, and Television Without Pity, in achieving record highs for their businesses this year.
Fandango, the nation's leading moviegoer destination, sells tickets to 16,500 screens. Fandango entertains and informs consumers with reviews, commentary and trailers, and offers the ability to quickly select a film, plan where and when to see it, and conveniently buy tickets in advance (with Mobile Ticket redemption capability at more than a thousand screens). Fandango is available at www.fandango.com, via your wireless mobile device at mobile.fandango.com, and at 1-800-FANDANGO. Fandango's top-ranking movie ticketing apps, with 21 million downloads, are available on the iPhone and iPad, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7 and many other platforms. Film fans find Fandango on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fandango and on Twitter @Fandango.
* Data tracked by Omniture.